Design 166 Portfolio

4:22 PM

Photography


The first project was to take photographs with balanced composition, clear focal point and a strong theme. Our quiz section's theme was Opposites.


Happy and Sad

Finding opposites in the urban setting is difficult because everything is a cliché. Red light, green light. Leisure, business. Sitting, standing. After an hour of duds I was about ready to throw in the towel.

I was walking past Molly Moons Ice Cream and saw text painted on their windows Ice Cream Makes Everyone Happy. There was a woman inside on the phone who looked frustrated and tired - not happy. I lined up the shot and she gave me a 'what are you doing?' glare. The eye contact ended up really activating the shot, so whoever you are, thank you!


Nature and Industry

This mural is near my dad's office on the Seattle waterfront. I've driven past it since I was little but only after returning as a design student did I realize its thematic potential. The metallic industrial piping creates a clear juxtaposition against the vivid blues of the painting. There is one flaw in the photo


Technology and Biology

On one of my days shooting, I decided to go to the Olympic Sculpture Park. It's become a common destination for the Design 166 photo project so I wasn't expecting to find anything unique. Luckily, my wandering eyes  noticed a group of people looking down on the sculptures. There was an interesting composure between the broad, smooth grays, and the small black shapes that really stood out in black and white.

When I realized the facial expressions I knew this was a keeper.




2D Composition

For our second project, the class was tasked with creating original book covers for the bestselling, Quiet by Susan Cain. The work of nonfiction deals with the perception of introversion in society and the pedestal extraversion stands on. Cain argues that introverts are the most innovative, critical, cautious, reflective intellectuals humanity produces. I strongly agree.

I brainstormed until my head hurt. Early design concepts played with closed doors -- the idea that introverts are reading and pondering away in their study while the world blabbers on. I toyed around with this idea of greatness in isolation but it only took off when I started utilizing type in a more expressive manner. On a piece of paper I drew a general shape I found interesting and wrote all the bullshit that came to my head. The scribbled text is intended to be the everyday, unfocused blabber that assaults our eardrums. I then scanned that and placed a gradient over it that conveyed energy, hostility, and noise. I used the title and author type as a stoic sanctum of perfection -- and after a few adjustments, the cover looked ready for a Barnes and Noble window display.

This project received a full 20/20. I was one of two with full marks in a class of roughly 150. I am very proud of this project.




3D Composition

From the time I applied to UW I knew I'd have to work in cardboard to get into the design school. This terrified me. I heard this project was the cause of many all nighters, self-inflicted X-Acto knife wounds and broken dreams. I dedicated all of my time to this project.

In the first week I focused on sketching, brainstorming, and learning cardboard packaging. My first three concepts were taped - no one in the class knew how to tab yet. One opened like a pizza box but was in a sandwich shape. Another was held by two handles and had a compartment for a sandwich and a salad. The third was inspired by my life in elementary and middle school -- always having a stuffed backpack and no room for lunch was a nuisance. I fashioned it around the outer straps of backpacks so that it could be comfortably placed outside a full pack. The Monday after we shared our first concepts Professor Matthews shared this design during lecture. I knew I had something good.

Weeks eight and nine at UW are defined by late nights and Adderall. As a person with chronic migraines constantly knocking at my door I couldn't be staying up until four every night or experimenting with a soft-core amphetamine -- so, I considered my priorities:
1. I came to UW to study design.
2. My other classes were Living With Volcanoes and Astronomy 101 and I didn't give a shit about them.
3. I couldn't let my migraines ruin my shot at being an IxD major.
So I did what any reasonable college student would do and stopped going to class.

I'd wake up, caffeinate, then hit the home studio. I'd work eight or more hours a day and go to sleep only when my new models were complete. I took breaks to read Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem (now my favorite book) and to say hi to friends. The room was littered with graph paper, models, cardboard, tools, and always blasting hip hop.

As the outer-backpack "Lunchpod" became more and more polished I began thinking of a name. In the required documentation (a foldout net, a short description and these photos cleanly mounted) my plan was to pitch the box like a real product. That Saturday I had breakfast with my family and told them about the design. My dad figured its function was similar to the aquatic snail that sticks itself to rocks, the Limpet. It was perfect.

I nervously turned in my box with its documents the following Thursday and was officially on spring break. I anxiously awaited a grade. That Tuesday morning I got an email from Prof. Matthews. I felt like throwing up until I read it. After that it was all running around the house, jumping up and down and letting the euphoric intoxication of hard-fought achievement sink in.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images